Drayton Hall is seeking creative, enthusiastic, and innovative individuals to serve as part-time historical interpreters, presenting three centuries of history to diverse audiences. DUTIES
- Contribute to the overall success of Drayton Hall in achieving its mission.
- Serve as a point-of-contact for visitors in their experience at the site, providing clear and accurate information in a pleasant, effective, and positive way.
- Present guided house tours of Drayton Hall and Connections: From Africa to America programs on a daily basis to diverse audiences of all ages.
- Conduct educational and special interpretive programs for adult and student groups of all ages. Assist with program preparation and clean-up.
- Provide coverage for Drayton Hall admissions and museum shop as needed.
- Participate actively in interpreter training or enhancement programs in order to expand knowledge of the property and/or interpretive skills.
- Assist with special events and programming as needed.
- Assist with basic site operations, including monitoring security of historic resources and visitor safety, responding calmly and professionally to emergencies and promptly notifying supervisor of incidents.
- Work as a cooperative member of a team, and be willing to lead, follow, and support colleagues in a tactful, positive way.
- Bachelor’s degree; studies in history, public history, museum studies, museum education, architecture, historic preservation, anthropology, or similar fields preferred.
- Must have strong oral and written communication skills, and be able to synthesize information into clear, effective presentations.
- Basic math and cash handling skills required; experience with point-of-sale retail systems, cash registers, and ticketing systems a plus.
- Ability to work outdoors; some lifting and manual labor required. Some weekend, evening, and holiday work required! Hours vary by season.
Please send a resume and cover letter addressed to:
Drayton Hall Preservation Trust
Attn: Shelia Harrell-Roye
3380 Ashley River Road Charleston, SC 29414
Or you may email a resume and cover letter to email@example.com
The Drayton Hall Preservation Trust is an equal opportunity employer.